The gombao chicken (or Gong Bao Chicken) is a very tasty, simple and typical Chinese recipe that a chef from Sichuan shared with us. Prepare your wok and your Chinese sticks!!
- 200g of chopped chicken breast
- A small diced green capsicum
- 2 tbsp of fresh grated ginger
- 2-3 tbsp of peanuts
- Black pepper
- Cooking oil (Chinese use a lot of sunflower oil but you can use rice bran oil for example…)
- A pinch of salt
- 3 tsp of brown sugar
- 1/2 ladle of corn starch mixed with water
Ingredients to buy in asian grocery shops:
- 1 choko (kind of delicious pale green pear-shaped squash)
- 1 tbsp of Chinese black rice vinegar.
- 3 dry and roasted sweet red chilies
- 2-3 tbsp of spicy red bean paste ( ask the seller, it’s a very common condiment in Chinese cuisine)
- Fresh chives
Take another bowl to mix half a ladle of fresh water, a pich of black pepper, half a ladle of bean flower and water, 3 tsp of brown sugar and 2 tbsp of Chinese vinegar. Keep it aside for later.
Warm up a bit of cooking oil in a wok over high heat ( Chinese people always use a lot of oil, sometimes too much for us. Use the quantity you like!). Deep fry the chicken mix for 30 sec, drain the surplus of oil if necessary then add the spicy red bean paste. Mix well and add the diced capsicum and choko and the peanuts. Lower the heat and let cook for 1 minute while stirring constantly.
Add the liquid mixture from the second bowl. Sauté the wok for another 30sec-1 minute over high heat.
Place the Gombao chicken on a plate and sprinkle with fresh chives. And of course, serve with rice!!